Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shell Scholarship Phone Interview

Hey guyz, I had just finished my shell scholarship phone interview and it was...OMG...Damn hard!!!

The phone rang at the time as scheduled - 1pm.  The interviewer started the conversation by introducing herself.  She is a Dutch, and had worked in a lot of countries, such as United Kingdom, Switzerland, bla bla bla...and now she is working in Miri, Sarawak.  A Dutch??? Worked in so many foreign countries before(until I couldn't remember which countries she mentioned)???  Oh gosh... I'm wondering whether I could understand her English or not.  Luckily yes.  After the introduction, she enlightened me up by telling me how will the interview go on and the structure of the question that will be asked. 

Throughout the interview, the interviewer is going to assess you against CAR (Capacity, Achievements and Relationship). You will be asked for evidence of your Achievement and Relationship skills to date, as well as being given the opportunity to analyse an issue that is current to global companies (Capacity).

Well, the interview was divided into two sections as below.
Section 1:
I was asked to tell her some extra informations that she would like to know, instead of the CV I'd sent in a month before.  First, I was asked for my greatest achievement, my role, strength and the difficulties that I faced.  Since I could only choose one, so I told her about my experience of being the chief editor of my school magazine committee, since it was a team work.  And then I was asked how to work in a team and so forth.  I shared some of my experience while undergoing national service and my working experience as well.  All the questions are mostly about how you work in a team, your role in solving problems or obstacles, your communication style and so on.  Since the interviewer was going to jot down all the points I gave, so I was adviced to say anything I could think of, no matter right or wrong.  I had to talk, talk and talk to keep the conversation going.  It's really a difficult task.  Sweat.  But so far, there was no silent mode in Section 1.
Section 2:
This was the most difficult part in the interview.  I was given four topics to choose and elaborate on one of them.
1) Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
2) High quality graduate for the employment market
3) Meeting the world growing energy needs without affecting the environment
4) The use of internet in business environment
What should the global company consider first? (I didn't hear clearly what the question was asking actually)  The question really sucks!!!  I chose the 3rd question and gave some of my points.  But I couldn't answer some of her questions because it was really mind breaking!! 

After this was Q & A section.  I asked her about the interview.  She said I will be informed in two weeks time on my application status.  And there will be another stage of interview, that is face-to-face interview, if I was shortlisted.   Then, that's the end of the interview~  It lasted for 27 minutes and 25 seconds.  So fast, lol... I think I have no chance to go for the second interview. XD 

Hehe...Anyway, I had tried my best.  And I was so proud to be interviewed by Shell!  It's such a great company, you know!! Fuyooo!!!  I'm really proud of myself!  ahaha!!!

2 comments: